Sunday, May 10, 2009

Volume 1; Chapter 15: A Special Tribute To All MOTHERS; My Mother

I've been waiting for a couple of days now to write this post. I had it in my mind before this and planned to write it today, so now is the time. As I begin, I am actually very excited and nervous, mainly because I am very happy and very apprehensive (don't know of what). So here goes...

Remember that I wrote in the previous post that I am going to talk about LOVE which is so overwhelming. It brings not only the connotation of you know..., but it also refers to the unconditional care given to us by the noblest profession of all - MOTHERS. To tell you the truth, today's Mother's Day is one of the most different of all. Why? Today is the first time I am not by my mother's side, celebrating Mother's Day with her. Even as I write now, she is probably being treated to a scrumptious dinner by my family back in Penang. Oh, how I wish to be there, but circumstances are unforgiving.

Actually, it isn't that bad being away from her this time around. Now, don't get me wrong. I love her of course. What I'm saying is that Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder. Today, I feel like I want to be with her more than ever because I had not have the chance to see her for a long time already.

Let me just recount the events today which touched my heart a little. Today, I went to church and there was this celebration of Mother's Day. Well, it's not really a celebration but more of a recognition that today is a special day. So, the sermon was preached and at the end, children (of any ages) were asked to go to their mothers and stand by their mother's side while clutching their hands or embracing them. The Pastor was going to say a prayer for all of those who were standing and as you may know, my mother is not with me. She is in Penang. A sense of loneliness, distance and gloom took over me for a while and I was moved. Tear dangled on my lids and I suddenly realised how precious were the moments when I was with her.

Allow me to reminisce this story which you might find interesting. I remembered the day when I was a young child, probably still in my kindergarten years, around 4-5 years old. That memory is still vivid in my mind although the whole incident was a little blurry, because I was still young then. However, it is significant enough to leave a deep impression in me. You see, during my younger years, my mother brought me along to the market to buy stuffs for lunch and dinner because no one was at home (my father would be working while my brother is studying).

In one of those mornings which I followed her, a very eventful thing happened. I remembered I was holding on to my mother's shirt while she was buying some fish (if I'm not mistaken) from one of the stalls. Then, out of a sudden, my hands were not holding her anymore. I tried looking for her among the people crowding at the stall, I couldn't find her. I don't even notice what was the colour of her shirt. I started to panic and all at the same time, I was crying. Mind you, I was only 4 or 5 years old. Who wouldn't cry when you can see no familiar faces in a sea of strangers?

The next thing I remembered was me standing beside the road (probably wandered off ; the market is a street market) and an old lady trying hard to comfort me. Thank God that there is still a good Samaritan like her willing to help me. But, all I knew was how to cry and I wasn't able to answer her questions about where my mother is. Thankfully, my mother found me after searching frantically for a while which I am certain would have given her the scare of her life. Then, we were finally united. Years later, when I grew up, my mother filled me in on part of the details on how I got lost in the market and now I am telling you all that I know.

I am sure that every mother would take priority in her child no matter what happens because they are still her children and no sane mother would forsake a child.

I can gladly say that today is a joyous day for me because I get to re-experience and relive those moments. (It's not that I only think of it during Mother's Day) Somehow, Mother's Day makes things more special. Everything looks so blissful today in my eyes. Not a worry, not a sorrow, but all goodness is what I felt throughout the day.

Love is something special, something which when given unconditionally, brings joy to both the giver and the recipient. Love can at times be an Achilles heel, causing us to give in easily without hesitation nor struggle, for it can be too compelling at times. For all we know, Love remains a mystery that we can't understand intellectually, but rather can be experienced emotionally.

Here's a link to a very meaningful video clip that I've personally enjoyed very much. I am deeply touched when I watched it, so go ahead, let your feelings flow... http://u.nu/4vm4 (let it finish loading before you watch it)

Allow me to quote some meaningful quotes I read from the newspapers:
The Star-"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary." (Dorothy Canfield Fisher)
The Sun- "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." (Honore de Balzac)

All that I can say is this,

For in her absence,
I felt her loving presence.



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.....





No comments:

Post a Comment